Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Small red onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cooked quinoa
¼ cup old fashioned oats
¼ cup plain bread crumbs
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
3-5 tablespoons water
1 medium green tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or with foil and lightly grease.
- Over medium heat, warm olive oil in a medium frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and light brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a food processor, puree quinoa and oats.
- In a small container, combine flax seed and 3 tablespoons water stirring until it congeals.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa and oats with remaining six ingredients and cooled red onion, garlic and jalapeno mixture. Mix with hands until combined.
- Gently stir in green tomatoes and flax seed mixture. Mix with hands until well combined.
- Using your hands make bun-sized burgers with mixture and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotate sheet and bake for 5 minutes, scoop on a tablespoon of Chipotle Pimento Cheese and cook 5 more minutes. The burgers should be golden brown and the cheese melted.
- Serve hot on whole wheat buns with your favorite fixings.
- Keeps in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Place leftovers into freezer safe container with wax sheets between burgers. Store for up to 2-3 months.