Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
3 tomatillos, husked and sliced 1/4″ thick
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 jalapeno, sliced
1 lime, juiced
1 cup water or veggie broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or with foil and lightly greased.
- Place tomatillos in a single layer on baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes.
- Over medium heat, warm olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and light brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and let boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until mixture reduces by half.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth.
- Serve cold with tacos, burritos and salads. Keeps in refrigerator for 2-3 days. You can also pour leftovers into freezer safe containers and store for up to 2-3 months.