Leftover starches like quinoa or rice make great bases to serve this versatile dish over. It’s quick and easy to make on a school night and reheats well.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Starch Options (choose one)
2 cups frozen gnocchi, prepared
2 cups quinoa, cooked
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 small shallot, diced
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained & chopped
½ package Tofurky Italian Sausage, sliced
1 – 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup canned, roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, grated (optional)
- Over medium heat warm olive oil in a medium frying pan.
- Add the garlic and shallot and cook for 1-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and light brown.
- Add red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes and soysage, and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for one minute before reducing heat to a simmer. Simmer on low for 5-8 minutes until broth thickens slightly.
- Serve hot over selected starch and garnish with cheese and olives.