As a kid I was not a fan of boiled Brussels sprouts. The flavor was lackluster and the texture was not appealing at all. But as an adult I’ve rediscovered Brussels sprouts and their versatility as an ingredient. They’re great roasted, steamed, and even the leaves make a great pizza topping. Here I decided to make a salad with some of my favorite ingredients and it was quite tasty. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
1 lb fresh Brussels Sprouts, shaved
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
2 ears of corn,
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1 large ripe avocado, halved, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey or agave
Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a mandolin slicer or food processor, slice Brussels sprouts and place in large mixing bowl.
- Place remaining salad ingredients except the avocado in bowl.
- Prepare dressing by placing lemon juice + zest, olive oil and honey in a small mixing bowl. Whisk together and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss gently.
- Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Using a knife cut horizontal and diagonal lines into avocado halves. Scoop out avocado with a spoon into the bowl.
- Serve chilled. Keeps in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How do you like to prepare Brussels sprouts? Share your favorite recipe so we can all enjoy them.