Hummus is a regular in our household, just like guacamole. We like a little spice to keep our taste buds excited so I add whatever kind of pepper we have on hand, and you can never go wrong with cilantro.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (one 15-ounce can), drained and rinsed)
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 jalapeno, serrano or chipotle pepper (your choice)
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
2/3 cup of water or veggie broth
Kosher salt to taste
1. Place chickpeas, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and pepper in a food processor.
2. Pour in 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice and olive oil.
3. Process while slowly adding water or veggie broth for desired consistency.
4. Add kosher salt to taste.
5. Serve chilled with tortilla chips, veggies or pita bread, or use in a wrap or on a sandwich. Keeps in refrigerator for 3-5 days and freezes well.